Last Wednesday, whilst I was driving out of town for a work meeting and had to open the car window as it was very warm, I thought to myself Gosh, I hope this great weather will linger into the weekend! And indeed, that’s what happened!!
So, yesterday, we set off to visit Bury St Edmunds. I had seen the sign for Bury when I was driving and hey, I had always wanted to visit a nice part of Suffolk, so that’s how I convinced my hubby to take me for a train ride (couldn`t be bothered with parking problems on a Sunday) to Bury- it has an imposing gothic cathedral (St Edmund`s) which looks very well maintained.
It is a very quaint place with several shops in the town centre (which of course I could not resist!) and very pretty cafes.
Here are a couple of pics of the entrance into the abbey ruins with splendid gardens and
and a lovely flower patch which caught my eye!
And in the spirit of summer (it feels more like it than spring!), I decided to cook Spanish Rice..or Camilla`s Own Riso alla Spagnola.. as we call it in our family and a dish which my mum used to cook quite often in summer when I was still at home…so I decided to have a go as I haven`t tasted it in a long while and of course I wanted to cook for dear hubby!
So what do you need for this tasty dish?
Rice, 4 bell peppers (different colours), paprika, chilli, curry powder 1-2 tins of chopped tomatoes, pepper and salt, vegetable cube, 2 cloves garlic and 1 onion and a good lug of olive oil.
How do you do it?- easy peesy and not more than 20 mins preparation & cooking time in all!
- Chopped onion and garlic fried until golden in oil (you can ask your hubby to do it for you as I did!).
- Then add the peppers, cut lengthwise into pieces (but not too small).
- Once the peppers have softened, add the tomatoes and pinch of chilli, curry, paprika, pepper and salt and the cube.
- Mix everything together and stir continuously with a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in a rice-cooker and add to your mixture.
- You can serve with tuna fish (add it to your mixture or after directly to your plate) but since Mr M doesn`t like fish, I had to add the tuna to my plate but he was allowed to have an extra portion of peppers!
And the result?
Delicious, as you can see (and healthy too)!!